Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is a software platform in which companies operate to manage their core business processes. It contains a wide range of modules to help them automate the activities of their key departments. These include material procurement, accounting, supply chain operations, sales, customer relations, inventory, logistics, and human resources. The various modules integrate to form a complete system sharing a common centralized database. This helps them to streamline the flow of vital commercial information throughout the companies.
Ecommerce ERP integration refers to the process of merging the companies’ e-commerce storefront with their back-end ERP system. This ensures the smooth bidirectional transmission of vital information between the two independent business systems. The companies’ employees need to record the relevant online data in one of the systems only. It is automatically reflected in the other system without any human intervention. This helps to significantly minimize the occurrence of data duplication and avoidable clerical errors.
The primary objectives of an ecommerce ERP integration software platform the companies use for their businesses are:
- To provide real-time business information for formulating better corporate strategies,
- Ensure better management and utilization of the available companies’ resources,
- Streamline the workflow between the different business processes to boost productivity,
- Minimize IT operating costs to manageable levels to improve cash flow,
- Provide a unique experience to potential online buyers to enhance customer engagement, and
- Ensure the companies’ e-commerce storefronts are responsive to their customers’ needs.
What should companies consider when installing an E-commerce ERP platform?
Companies should consider the following factors when installing an ecommerce ERP integration platform for their businesses:
- The solution ought to provide a two-way movement of information between the systems,
- It should have the latest application programming interface (API) and artificial intelligence tools,
- Operate Software as a Service (SaaS) platform using the latest cloud technology,
- Provide for an adequate testing phrase to highlight and eliminate all synchronization errors,
- Compatible enough to merge with the existing business solutions in their IT infrastructure,
- Function flawlessly with IT systems the companies’ trading partners operate, and
- It ought to be user-friendly to operate even for non-technical employees.
How does an e-commerce ERP integration platform streamline online commercial operations?
Companies operating an e-commerce ERP integration platform can simplify and automate their online commercial tasks. This results in the faster execution of the work processes better than a conventional manual system. The specific type of e-commerce functions which all ERP software systems can streamline are as follows:
- Proper execution of online customer order placements,
- Ensure instant customer data updates such as changes in the billing addresses,
- Exhibit real-time changes in product categories and their prices,
- Calculate shipping costs of customer order placements
- Provide real-time tracking information on the current status of customer orders, and
- Ensure instant updates relating to changes in inventory levels.
Using an ecommerce ERP integration platform allows companies to take their online sales operations to the next level. With this software system, they can automate all of their business processes seamlessly without flaws. This helps to streamline the workflow and transmission of information within their businesses. As a result, they notice an increase in productivity due to reduced costs and data duplication.